Ok, I know I’m way behind on my posting. Big things happening at the Sweeter Thing house this week but more to come on that later. Eric and Anna and I took a teeny tiny trip to Nashville and Chattanooga last weekend and had a chance to visit some of our favorite places. Including The Ice Cream Show in Chattanooga. Love that place. It’s soft serve ice cream that you pick your mix-ins for and they make it super fancy for you. I chose vanilla with brownies and peanut butter and now my peanut butter cravings are in full swing. I cannot get enough. It inspired me to work on that combination for a new cupcake, maybe I’ll get that up next week.
For this week, I needed to take something yummy for a co-worker’s birthday and since peanut butter is on the brain this week, I couldn’t wait to make these bars. Oh, did I mention I had zero time to do it? That’s the beauty of this masterpiece. This is not a from-scratch recipe but every single processed ingredient in these bars is worth it. In fact, just don’t even think about it. You don’t make things like this and then try to make them healthy. Loosen your belt and dig in.
Dump a yellow cake mix, some melted butter, some peanut butter, and 2 eggs in a bowl and mix it all up. The picture is gross, I know.
Spread all but 1 1/2 cups of this mixture into a 9 X 13 dish.
Melt a bag of chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons of butter, and a can of evaporated milk in a saucepan on the stove. When It’s melted, remove from the heat and add some vanilla. Then dump the whole thing over the cake mix layer.
Then take the remaining cake mixture and “crumble” it over the top. Although, it doesn’t really crumble. It’s not that dry. I grabbed some, flattened it out and broke it into pieces. It was as close to “crumble” as I could get.
Bake. Then let it cool completely. I left mine sitting on the counter over night and cut them up in the morning. Then I left the leftovers sitting on the counter uncovered while I was work and they were still good when I got home and was ready to devour everything in sight. Which I did quite successfully. Hungry isn’t my most flattering state. Be glad you weren’t there.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Recipe from thegirlwhoateeverything.com
- 1 (18.25) package plain yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I accidentally used a can of evaporated milk instead, it was a beautiful mistake.)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine cake mix, melted butter, peanut butter, and eggs in a large bowl using a mixer or spoon. Press this into a 9X13 pan reserving 1 1/2 cup of the mixture to crumble on top.
- In a small pot, melt chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut.
- Spread chocolate mixture over the mixture pressed in the pan and then crumble the 1 1/2 cups of reserved cake mixture on top evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into bars.