Happy Election Day! Your day is probably extra busy so I thought I would take care of dinner for you! I made this last week and it earned it’s place on our staple menu list of recipes. It’s SO SO easy to throw together and is a great gluten free dinner option if you have a gluten free-er in your family or group of friends. It has just a bit of kick to it, enough to give it a really great flavor without clearing out all your sinuses. If I was making it just for Eric, I would double the crushed red pepper. He likes it when his meals make him cry.
This post is super short because the recipe is so easy. Season some chicken breast, I used 4 decent sized chicken breasts. Place them in your crock pot.
Whisk together soy sauce, honey, onion, garlic, ketchup, oil, and red pepper flakes. Pour over your chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4. Remove the chicken and chop it into small pieces. Dissolve some corn starch in some water and stir into the sauce. Cover it back up and let it cook on high another 10 minutes. Add your chicken back in and turn the crock pot to warm until you are ready to serve. Serve over a bed of rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds. I served mine over brown rice and we ate it two nights in the row. It makes for excellent left overs.
Honey Sesame Chicken
Recipe from Chef in Training
- 2.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons diced onion
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper and place in crock pot
- Whisk together the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4.
- Remove chicken and cut into small pieces. Meanwhile, add the cornstarch to the sauce and stir to mix. Cover and let it cook on high for 10 minutes before adding the chicken back in.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds just before serving.